Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lazy Sundays . . .

What is it about Sundays that makes being lazy so much more enjoyable? Maybe it's the fear of Mondays. I woke up this morning at 5:00 a.m. as is my norm. My plan? Get ready, hop on the bike and head out by 5:30 on a 50-60 mile ride with some decent climbs (I had not figured out the actual route just yet). I can tell you right now that never happened.

Instead, I made my morning cappuccino and read about the Tour de France at www.cyclingnews.com. It was then my plans changed. As I was thinking about my ride, I simply could not figure where I wanted to ride to. So I turned on the TV around 6:00 and began to watch Stage 9, the first mountain stage. Sherry got up and joined me around 7:00 and we watched the finale together. Sherry does not cycle but she loves watching it. And since the Tour de France is the only race televised live in the US, it is a very important annual event for us. It turned out to be a great stage and a great day to watch it live versus the TIVO replay.

After the Tour, I made a pastry run. Standing in front of the case of our local bakery I even found that decision hard to make. So I selected 3 pastries and headed home to discover that Sherry had found some cheeky movie, which we had to watch with our 1 1/2 pastries each.

Around 10:00 the weather was just too beautiful to ignore and I decided to go for a ride after all. Out on the road it did not take long to discover this would be a lazy ride. Partly because the pastries sitting in my stomach were starting to weigh quite heavy but mostly because I was riding for the fun of it and enjoying the scenery. I actually rode through the middle of our local towns instead of around them just to check out was happening.

At one point, I stopped and watched a fairly serious soccer game for a few minutes. Then I decided to ride through Spring Lake Park where people were busy swimming, reading, walking, cycling, and just basically enjoying the day. On the road leading into Spring Lake, I actually stopped at a lemonade stand run by a young girl who was raising money for breast cancer. How cool is that? I still ended up with a 40 mile ride when it was all said and done.

So back home, another cheeky movie, lunch (with wine of course), more lounging around, some reading in a novel set in Italy, and kinda of doing nothing. And then it occurred to me. Isn't this what Sundays are all about?

Ciao!

1 Comment(s):

Sarah said...

Hey after Vineman is over can I come for one of those too? I'd like to have a nice easy ride out to Freestone and go to that bakery...I've heard from 2-3 people now about that place and I all want is to ride out there, eat and have coffee, and have a nice ride back.

That sounds awesome. I want to watch the Tour!!!