Monday, April 6, 2009

Finally, I get going

I've actually been waiting to publish this blog for a couple of weeks now. I didn't want to post it too soon because I was afraid I would jinx myself. You see, I finally got my 2009 season under way after a few false starts. Where I've been mentally and the turning point can be boiled down to 5 words - no goals and new scale.

It's actually funny to think of this as my "season" since I currently have no plans. I think that was part of problem. Of course the wind and rain of winter didn't help either. However, last year I was training for the Terrible Two so I diligently got on the trainer 2-3 times a week when the weather was bad. This year, not so much. I am discovering I am quite capable of completely ignoring my trainer if there is not an event in the immediate future.

It's not like I have been a total sloth. I did some half-ass trainer workouts. I started running again. And I have had some great rides already. But there was no motivation to keep things going. I think of these false starts a little like waking up. At first you are jarred awake by the alarm. Your up, but not necessarily awake. So you turn the alarm off and go back to sleep. Then you wake up more gradually until you finally notice you are wide awake and ready to face the day. That's how 2009 started for me.

So, since I am not currently planning any events, what finally got things going for me. Well, for one thing I bought a new scale that includes body fat percentage. Now don't get me wrong. I knew I was carrying about 10-15 extra pounds but I naively thought my body fat would be in the 20's. Then I got on the scale for the first time and saw the real number. In the words of Coach Tim; "Oh, hell no!" This was a number that needed to come down.

So I hit the trainer, I started running more regularly and I added core and strength training. How do I know I am finally awake? Because I am doing this things without having to think about them. On Tuesdays, I come from work, change and get on the trainer. No real thought, it just happens. Or I'll decide to skip my run one morning only to find myself cruising along my favorite course 30 minutes later.

The result is starting to show. Body fat is coming down. Motivation is going up. I am currently getting in 3-5 cycling workouts, 2-3 runs and 2-3 strength workouts per week.

Now, all I need are some goals for this year I just might be able to keep it going. Until then, I just keep sweating in the name of good health.

Ciao!

1 Comment(s):

Sarah said...

Nothing like a reality check to give you some motivation. :) I say that's just as much a motivator as an event! Keep up the great work, Lee.