Saturday, February 27, 2010

Our first (non) ride

Damn rain!!!  We were supposed to have our very first official Team Revolution Presented by Fitness Journal ride this morning.  All week long there was supposed to be a big storm on Friday with only a few lingering scattered showers remaining Saturday morning.  HA!!!  I get up this morning at 5:00 am as usual and it is raining.  Strike that, it’s pouring.  To add insult to potential injury, there is also gusty winds swirling about.  It was almost as if Mother Nature was daring us to ride our bikes today.

It was time for action.  Not the good kind of action like pulling your bike out of the garage and rolling down the street.  No, this action was pounding the keyboard versus pounding the pedals in a desperate attempt to find some weather web site or satellite image that would give us hope.  It was not to be.

Image after image, site after site, told the same story.  It was going to keep raining.   Damn rain!!!

Really, my problem isn’t with the rain.  We need water to survive.  I get that.  I love my green hills and the lovely spring flowers.  I enjoy the beautiful streams and cascading waterfalls that form after a rainy winter.  No, my problem has more to do with scheduling and accountability.

We have already had some gorgeous spring-like weather in Sonoma County.  However, it has been improperly scheduled for Monday through Friday.  I want to know who the hell thought that was a good idea.  Why would you ever put the nice weather during the work week and then have it rain on the weekends?  Haven’t these people heard of Camelot?

So day after day I sit in my office and watch white fluffy clouds float by against the backdrop of a beautiful blue sky.  And while this may help the whole work-stress issue, it doesn’t help my cycling.  Then Saturday rolls around and the clouds turn dark and mean and nasty.  They bear down on you like you’re some little middle-Earther with a ring and a mission.

How do you know it’s been raining a lot during the prime riding times?  When you have more hours logged cleaning your bike then riding it, that’s how.  I mean, really!  Even on the days it wasn’t raining, it hasn’t been that nice.  We have started a few rides already this year with clear skies above while we rode in the cold, wet, soupy fog below.

Now, let’s change gears and talk about the weather people.  I purposely did not use the word meteorologist because that might imply there was some science behind their daily version of truth or dare.  You know what I mean.  This is when they tell you the forecast and dare you to believe it’s the truth.

What happens when these soothsayers are wildly wrong?  Where’s their accountability?   I realize that predicting the weather is not an exact science.  I know Mother Nature has the best curve ball in the business and is not afraid to use it.  But at 5:30 in the morning when I am looking at a web site icon that shows the sun while it’s pouring down rain outside I can’t help but think it’s time to bring back public floggings.

If you haven’t already guessed, we ultimately cancelled this morning’s ride.  As excited as we were to get the first official ride on the books it just wasn’t worth it.  One of the hallmarks of Team Revolution is having fun on the bike.  I haven’t met the entire team yet, but I feel safe in saying that none of them would say 3-hours of sucking down road spray from the tire in front of them is fun.

Ok, I’m better now.  I just needed to get that out of my system.  Before long, Wine Country will be bathed in that special brand of bright sunshine, gorgeous skies, and gentle breezes that makes our houses cost so much.  I’m sure I can hold out until then.

In the meantime, I leave for San Diego on Wednesday for 4-days of riding in sunny Southern California.  But I swear, if it rains while I’m down there someone’s getting flogged.

Ciao!

0 Comment(s):