Thursday, December 26, 2013

The 17-mile reminder

I can honestly say that I find myself feeling grateful and blessed for my life each and every day. In fact, it’s something that I am quite proud of and while I don’t try to preach to others, I do try to be a good role model. I try not to bitch about the little things or blow them out of proportion although I will admit that’s a little harder to do.

About 10-days ago I managed to catch the nasty cold that’s been moving through Sonoma County.  Sherry actually got it first so I guess I could blame her but the truth is I’m not looking for someone to blame.  The fact is you’re going to get sick from time to time so get over it.  I haven’t been sick in over 2-years so I really don’t have any complaints.  The biggest downside, besides not feeling great, was the lack of strength to run or ride. (I’m sure Sherry has whole different viewpoint on the downside of me being sick.)

I telling you all of this as the back story to my 17-mile ride on Christmas Day.  It was my first real motion in almost 2-weeks. It was also the longest 17-mile ride of my life and I was frigging exhausted when I got home.  Still, instead of focusing on how tired I felt during the ride, I found myself feeling grateful.

It actually started as I was getting ready to ride. It’s December 25th and I dressing to ride in 63 degree weather under a perfectly blue sky.  If you can’t be grateful for that than something’s really wrong. 

As I get the ride started I ride by one of our local hospitals and I notice the parking lot is completely full.  It’s hard for me to imagine what it must be like to spend Christmas in the hospital.  It’s actually a thought I can’t dwell on too long or it starts to make me very sad.  So, although I am hacking away like a 30-year smoker, I am at least on my bike, rolling down the road and enjoying a gorgeous day outside.

My next reminder of how great my life is right now happened as I passed a local movie theater and I realized that there are people working today. And what am I doing while they work? Playing on my bike. I spent the next several miles wondering why all the people who got so mad that Walmart, and other stores, opened on Thanksgiving are not just as upset that movie theaters are open on Christmas.

This went on for the rest of the ride.  I just couldn’t stop listing all the things I’m grateful for in my life.  I have an awesome wife who makes my world a better place by simply being herself. I’m in good health even though I have a cold at the moment. My career has been on a steady upward trajectory since I left high school.  And, to top it all off, I was just in Paris a mere 3-weeks ago and have a trip to France scheduled in July to watch a few stages of the Tour de France. I mean really! If I start to complain about anything in life, with the exception of traffic, I think someone bitch-slap the hell out of me.  I’m sure there’s no shortage of takers for that job.

As I’m typing this I am starting to feel normal again.  The cold is fading and my strength is returning.  I have a couple of days off from work and the weather is going to continue to be beautiful.  So, I’ll go for some rides, hang out in coffee shops, and hopefully spend a little time working on the book. 

Whatever I do you can bet I’ll be stopping from time to time to realize just how blessed I am.

Ciao!!!

0 Comment(s):