Monday, January 18, 2016

The 2016 Cyclo-Runner-Husband Challenge

As I have mentioned in previous posts, probably a little too much, I am really enjoying my return to running.  So, it makes sense that as 2015 was winding down running would be a big part of my goals for 2016.  However, I also want to spend more time on the bikes.  Of course, I love hanging out with Sherry even more than running or cycling so I need plenty of time for that as well.

My real task is to figure out how to meet my running and cycling goals while also spending lots of time with Sherry.  This may be the biggest challenge of all.

Runners love medals!!!
After building a great base while training for the Ragnar Relay last year, I have decided I want to keep running.  Of course, for me this means setting goals, And by setting goals, I mean registering for events. I’m already registered for a half marathon (13.1 miles), a 25k (15.5 miles) and a 10-mile run all before the second week of April.  I am also anxiously awaiting for the dates for the 2016 Napa Valley Ragnar Relay.

One day, while goofing off on Facebook, I discovered the 1,000 mile challenge from ilovetorun.org, which I had to join.  Next, I was chatting with a friend at work who wanted to tackle the Run the Year 2016 challenge.  We are now a “Dynamic Duo” who are trying to run 2016 miles before December 31st.

All of these running challenges would be fairly easy to accomplish if I didn’t also love to cycle.  I’m already registered for the Bottega Gran Fondo in April and my good friend Tim and I are planning on a cyclo-cross ride later this month.  We are also planning a trip to Provence in August where I will climb Mont Ventoux once again.  When thinking of 2016, I tentatively set a goal of 4,500 miles for the year.  That’s a good year for me without all the extra time and energy used up with running.

Bottega Gran Fondo 2015
While the running and cycling goals are great, I won’t be too disappointed if I miss them.  No one really cares about them except me.  They are fun to set and even more fun to try and accomplish but it won’t be the end of the world if I fall short.

The one goal that is not flexible is spending time with Sherry.  Now, before you get the wrong idea, allow me to clarify.   Sherry is incredibly supportive of all my craziness to the point where you might start to think of her as my co-dependent.  I think she likes telling her co-workers on Monday about her husband’s crazy weekend activities (or maybe it’s me that likes that).  However, I will admit that she’s not a fan of looking across the table at a very nice restaurant and seeing me half asleep because I’m exhausted so it’s all about striking the right balance.

Fortunately, I like to leave early in the morning and we like late lunches.  I’m not afraid to run in the dark or start a bike ride at first light.  This means on long summer days, I may be starting my ride at 6:00 am so I can get in 75 miles or more and still be home in time for a leisurely lunch at one of our fabulous restaurants in Wine Country.

It’s going to be an interesting year and only time will tell if actually accomplish it all.  Even if I don’t, you can bet I’m going to have a lot of fun trying.  Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go for a run.

Ciao!

0 Comment(s):