Sunday, November 26, 2017

Excuses! Excuses! Excuses!

I know winter is still officially almost a month away but it is still a hard time of the year for athletes who prefer to be outside.  Well, maybe I shouldn’t be so general and state it’s a hard time of the year for me.  There’s just something about the shorter days and cooler temperatures that challenges my desire.  When you add the allure of sipping a home-made cappuccino in front of the fire then my motivation melts faster than a sugar cube.

Bundle up to brave the cold!
I really do enjoy running in the rain. I also don’t mind the cold when riding.  I have all the right gear for both running and riding in winter so it shouldn’t be a big deal. So, why the lull?  As much as I would love to provide some profound explanation, in the end, it all comes down to making excuses!

The first thing I tell myself is that after pushing myself all summer, it’s ok to take a little time off. In fact, it’s quite easy to convince myself that periods of recovery are a well researched and documented training tactic.  Then, I remember that my last big challenge was nearly 4-months ago on August 3rd.  So, taking time off sounds practical but it’s just an excuse.

While I do enjoy both riding and running, I also love sitting inside the warm house with Sherry drinking coffee and reading. However, after a bit of reading I frequently find myself wasting time on Facebook or Instagram so that’s just another excuse.

My kryptonite!
Recently, Sherry’s retirement is having an impact.  She used to start getting ready for work at 6:30 a.m. and I would use that as my cue to go run or ride.  Now, at 6:30 a.m., she is either still asleep or sitting in the chair next to me reading and drinking coffee.  Before I know it, it’s 7:30 a.m. and I’m still just sitting there.  Of course, when I’m on the computer the current time is right there.  I could also set an alarm on the computer, my phone, or our Echo. In the end, it’s yet another excuse.

I mentioned that I have the right gear but even that becomes an excuse.  Sometimes, just the thought of having to add layer after layer of clothing seems like an arduous process.  Do I really want to spend all that time getting ready for a short 3-mile run?  By now you know the answer is no and another excuse is created.

Longing for warmer days!
The list of excuses goes on.  I have to get to work early! I’ll run when I get home! I’ll go further tomorrow!  I want to spend time writing!  I need to practice my French!  There are many, many things that can stop me from heading out the door.

The bottom line is that these are all just excuses for not wanting to exercise.  And that’s the real problem.  On beautiful days running and riding are a pleasure.  Forcing myself out into the cold and dark days of winter just feel like exercise.  I don’t do it for the exercise, I do it for fun.  The exercise is just a bonus.

It may seem strange but, in the end, I’m ok with this.  I’m ok with choosing coffee over running and reading over riding.  For me, it’s all about striking the right balance

It started to rain as I am finishing this post and, of course, I am supposed to be heading out for a 5-mile run.  I wonder which excuse I’ll use this morning?


Ciao!

0 Comment(s):